You decided to landscape your front yard or back yard on your own. It is a labor-intensive but at the same time is a creative process.
How to landscape your lot?
1. To start work on a landscaping design you need alandscaping plan.
What is this? Take a clean sheet of paper and draw your lot with your house as bird’s eye view or if you’re looking at it from above. The house is in the form of a rectangular or square, simple lines of the fence surrounding your property. Then take a tape measure and measure your fence and house. Note these measures on the landscape plan. Do trees and bushes grow on your lot? Is there pathways or pond? Do you want to keep them? Then note them on the landscape plan. Now it is clear how much available space is left for new ideas of landscaping design.
2. The second step of work isideas about landscape. There are various styles of landscaping design. You can choose any. But you should consider the size of your lot. In the front yard you can create a lawn with evergreens trees and a paved path. A patio with comfortable garden furniture will look great in the backyard. At the back or middle of your lot you can place a fountain with a small arabesque. Use a variety of bright flowering plants and choose trees and bushes with leaves of different shades. Trees and bushes with blue, brown, red yellow leaves will look very beautiful. Style of landscape matches the look and feel of your home and still reflects your unique personality. Landscaping design allows mixing. If you liked the idea, then go ahead!. Your garden will become a piece of art.
3. On the stage of landscaping it is necessary to follow the selected plan of future garden constructions. Landscaping design offers a variety of constructions: pond or fountain, gazebo, patio, an open terrace for rest. They have to be in harmony. For the landscaping and installation of your garden select the appropriate size of swimming pool, fountain, gazebo and other décor details.
4. Clean the territory of your lot from garbage, dried plants and snags. Disassemble existing constructions which are not included in your landscaping plan.
5. Level the surface of the land in proper places.
6. For the installation of a pond, gazebo, or a terrace invite landscape professionals. They will do all necessary installation work.
7. The next stage of landscapingis planting trees and bushes.
You will need Garden Soil, poles and tape measures. Follow your landscape plan.
8. The quality of the soil will have an enormous effect for successful landscaping of your garden. If the land is poor in organic and mineral fertilizers, then most of your plants will be feeble Organic matter in this situation will be valuable as it improves the soil otherwise your efforts to create a garden and your money will be wasted.
Take samples of soil from your landand submit for analysis in one of the laboratories of soil.
This is how it is done: Dig a hole 6-8 inches deep. Make a thin cut, and put it into a container. Do this in different places of your lot. Mix the entire volume of the land. Free it from roots, grass and rocks. Pick out into a plastic container 8 ounces of soil and submit for analysis. The land must not stick to the hands.
Refer to the results of soil analysis.Fertilize the soilaccording to the recommendations of the laboratory.
9. Now we have to choose plants for your garden. To do this, refer to the catalog of plants of landscaping company or store near you. Read the terms of planting and caring for plants that you buy.
And start planting plants.
Now, a few small tips how to avoid mistakes
1. Stick to the rule: better to plant less, than too much.
2. Do not plant trees close to the house. They will shade the windows when they grow up.
3. Strictly follow your landscaping plan.
4. Buying trees and shrubs, find out about how big they will grow in a few years.
5. In the landscape of your lot, try to avoid straight lines. Winding paths, borders, flowerbeds in the garden create a deep perspective. Because of this, your garden will seem more capacious.
6. Choose low-maintenance plants and those that grow in your area. This will ease the care of the garden.
7.If you don’t have time to take care of your garden, don’t plant lawns. They require constant care.
8. Don’t make copies of other gardens. Your garden has to be unique.
9. Keep in mind interests of all family members when designing your garden.
10. Don’t try to plant plants on the whole lot at once. Plant one part, then proceed to another part.