Opt for a hedge of the four seasons!
To change monochrome conifers, opt for a mixed hedge flowering shrubs, with leaves and decorative fruits.
It will offer a varied decor with the seasons.
You can also d’Other articles on the hedge:
- Advice sheets on the hedge
- Create a hedge of’evergreen shrubs
- Create a flowering hedge
- Everything about the hedge size
- Attract butterflies to flowers and plants
The choice shrubs
Depending on your tastes, you will choose the focusing their flowering (Color, time, duration), their foliage (Green or purple, plain or variegated coloration, gold or silver, green, purple or copper in autumn), their fruits (Decorative or attract birds), or perfume (Flowers and leaves).
Among the fragrant shrubs, my favorites go Honeysuckle d’winter, daphne in pretty wood and jasmine poets (or mock). Some like Caryopteris also have fragrant foliage. If you love butterflies, you can attract with shrubs to nectar-rich flowers (lilac, Caryopteris). Garden centers offer kits "ready to plant" of’shrubs for "hedge four seasons" with such tamarisk, forsythia, gooseberry blood, weigelia, snowberry and snowball.
Planting the hedge
The ideal time is at the Sainte Catherine (November 25) for shrubs sold mound, but those sold in containers can be planted throughout the’year, except during freezing or drought.
Each hole will be about 40 x 40 x 40 cm. Spacing varies by variety: from 50 cm to 2 m. If your soil is too clayey, place gravel in the bottom of holes, pieces of broken pots or balls’expanded clay. Resize the roots protruding and broken branches.
- Think praliner exposed roots unsold shrubs in containers. Praline will consist of cow dung, soil and’water.
- Remove the container plants sold in plastic pots and unravel the knot of roots.
- Soak the bushes a few minutes in a bucket before planting.
- N’not push the collar in the earth.
- Close planting holes in many packing soil and bring two watering cans per plant to chase bubbles’air.
L’maintenance of the hedge
S’it does not rain after planting, water your copiously hedge. To curb’Extension weed, you can mulch. The first year, cut the young shoots to stimulate growth, but only after flowering. Then, the size will be limited to maintain a harmonious shape.
Pierrick Le Jardinier
- Find all our councils dealing with the hedge
- Create to hedge’evergreen shrubs
- Create flowering hedge
- All about size of the hedge
Visual jasmine Credit: Plant of the Month