Rhubarb is an easy plant to grow and whose harvest is often generous.
Planting or sowing to harvesting petioles, the’Regular maintenance will allow you to’improve growth.
Culture, maintenance and recipes ... here is our advice.
In short, that’you should know:
Name: Rheum rhaponticum
Height: 0.5 to 1m
Exhibition: Sunny, light shade
Soil: Rather rich acid
- Health: benefits and virtues of rhubarb Health
Although planting rhubarb:
Rhubarb is planted rather to’autumn in the form of rhizomes but it may as well be planted spring.
Given that the square’it takes, book a place outside your garden as it might otherwise d’quickly occupy the entire’space!
Rhubarb needs’a rich soil to prosper and deserves that’they bring him regularly of’organic fertilizer.
- Two or three rhizomes planted at 1 meter of’range widely enough to the needs of’a family.
- Besides the fact that you might find rhubarb your dreams with your usual Garden Center, c’is a plant that’it is transmitted in the family, or even from father to son!
- Rhizomes divide very easily when the plant begins to take the’scale.
- A small spade and you are the owner of what will be after two seasons massive that will accompany you during your lifetime.
- Even if life will take you to move, do not let your rhubarb orphan ....!
- Take it with you: a spade, and this is a life that will resume and continue elsewhere!
If you want to make a rhubarb sowing sow in spring or summer, preferably in the bucket and set up from September to March.
Pruning and maintenance of rhubarb:
Rhubarb requires no maintenance, except for’clarify the foot of the weeds that could’invade and’regularly remove withered stalks.
You can promote growth, especially the first year, making him a present of 100g per plant’a granular fertilizer 7-11-17 5-7-7 organic or inorganic type.
Tear the last petioles to’approach to’winter.
Rhizomes get in sleep, but they will surprise you again in the first days of spring.
A Mulching can s’the useful’summer to the consrver’soil moisture.
Rhubarb is a plant which sweats a lot in the summer because of its large leaves and thus requires a special watering.
- Watering during extended drought or heat waves
- It is better to water at night and avoid wetting the leaves
The harvest usually takes place two times a year to’April to September / October, but the most popular is mainly on first spring shoots, because they are softer and less sour.
- Choose firm stalks and much thicker than 3-4 cm in diameter
- Tear them to their base rather breaking that’by cutting
- Cut large leaves and make the purin rhubarb to fight against aphids and worm leek
- Clean the stalks and keep them in the fridge to avoid that’they dry out.
To know about rhubarb:
Rhubarb is d’Asian and n’is known in Europe for some two hundred years.
She office when fruit’it is grown to make jam or delicious Rhubarb pies but c’is actually, in the botanical sense, a vegetable.
- It is grown throughout France, but mainly north of the Loire.
- This well-rounded plant can reach a height of more than’one meter.
- Not only this plant can create the bottom of your garden a very green and very pleasant to the sight massive, but also reserve you a big surprise that will decorate your desserts and complement the range of your favorite jams.
- Find rhubarb jam recipe and treat yourself !
Malignant Council connoisseur rhubarb:
Rhubarb is well known for its laxative effect.
Rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus, rhubarb is a very good food supplement, especially for transit.
Many gourmet recipes allow you to’enjoy this product and your garden jams surely will delight your family.
One more thing to know: rhubarb leaves excellent for your compost