Plum, beautiful from spring to’Autumn offers abundant crops of plums.
The planting,’Maintenance and size are important to avoid disease and ensure good development to your plum tree.
Name : Prunus domestica
Family : Rosaceae
Type : Tree orchard
Height : 5 to 6 m
Exposure : Sunlight
Ground : Rich enough
Foliage : Deciduous
Flowering : March-April
Harvest : July to September
- Read: Plum, history, culture and use in cooking
Prefer a plantation l’autumn or spring but always avoiding periods of frost.
Recall that for all the fruit, the best time of planting is’autumn because c’was at this time that the conditions for recovery in the spring will be the best.
- Plum like rather sunny situations to provide good plums
- Expect your plum reach its adult size’few years and that’so it will need room to grow.
- During the first weeks, water regularly provided that’it does not freeze.
- Therefore prefer a watering during the day because the night is often much cooler.
- To ensure good development your plum, see our planting tips.
General size principle:
It is recommended to cut the strictly necessary because plum become susceptible to all types of injuries and therefore diseases.
After each operation, so apply a mastic healing of Norway tar type in order to protect the fungus and other disease.
However, you can practice size formation the first year to form the backbone of’shaft. To do this, cut your tree to obtain 3 or 4 main branches oriented towards’outside.
Like all kernel trees and including cherry, size s’carried out at the end of’summer or early’fall.
After harvesting plums:
Once you have gathered the plums, remove the dead wood and brittle branches.
Remove the fruit that remained on the’tree, often sick, and destroy them.
At Last, delete releases, c’ie the shoots that grow at the foot of’shaft.
Pests and diseases that affect the plum:
Plum, like most fruit trees is subject to certain diseases and pests.
Thus, aphids are the main enemy of plum. Find how to effectively fight against aphids.
Prevention, some organic treatments such as spray of manure’Nettles or manure horsetail are effective in strengthening the defenses of plum and avoid some mushrooms.
Finally, when the mushrooms as rotting plums (Brown rot) or rust, there are appropriate treatment.
- Here's how fight against plums rotting on’tree
- Here's how fight against the leaves turn yellow, fall and take yellow or orange-red hues
Namely the plum:
The plum tree is a fruit tree whose fruit is used for consumption of fresh plums but we also like to use them to make jams, liquor, pastries or dried fruit as are prunes d’Agen.
The plum is also a very ornamental tree because its Flowering is generous in early spring and very interesting foliage up’the falling leaves
Fruiting will d’more abundant if’tree is amended with manure’Fall and fertilized with a fertilizer for fruit trees in spring.
Strain Wizard for beautiful plums:
Plum, that’it is plum, damson, valor, or miraclaude Thames Cross gives fleshy fruits, rich in vitamin B and calcium as well as’minerals.
Mix varieties to stimulate pollination and therefore fruiting.
If you do that plant’one plum tree, choose a self-fertile variety as of Prunier’Ente, the Mirabelle de Nancy or Quetsche d’Alsace.
- You can also find our delicious homemade plum jam recipe
Council clever about Plum:
A Mulching at the foot of’tree avoids the growth of weeds, protects the roots from the cold’winter and the’evaporation’the water’summer.
You can also diseases and insects that affect plum:
- Rust : Orange-brown pustules on the leaves
- Aphids : Leaves curl and lose their original color
- Scab : Brown spots on the fruit and leaves
- Moniliasis : Plums rotting plum