Contrary to popular belief, what suffers most l’n olivier’not cold but’humidity.
In good conditions and cold’Dry air,’Olive has a hardiness of’order of -15 to -18 °.
But if’is mixed with the cold’water and the’humidity, so nothing goes.
- Find our here Gardening sheet devoted to’olive
Let's look at how to protect your olive tree in winter:
Your olive tree in the ground:
If you Seeing the méridionnales regions, you should not make you worry, your olive tree normally no problem to withstand winter conditions.
However, if you live north of the Loire and / or in a region where it rains a lot in the winter, we have to take some steps to protect your olive tree.
- With soil, creating a slope at the foot of your olive tree to prevent the’water flows near the roots
- It is important’evacuate’as far as possible water your olive tree in winter as c’main danger is that your tree guete
- Mulch the foot of the’olive to protect the roots of the gel
Your potted olive tree is:
Again, if you live in a Southern Region he n’there's not much to do
- Place the olive tree in the sun
- Water only when the soil is completely dry and in a limited way
However, if you live further north,
- L’ideal is to put his olive tree in a cool, bright place but where it can not freeze
- The cold winter in these regions is wet so protect your olive maximum of’humidity
If you can not get your olive tree,
- Never enter your olive tree at’Inside the’winter
- Outside closer the most possible’a bay window for that’he enjoys the warmth of your home
- Mulch the foot of your olive tree to protect it from the cold
- Bundle up the pot’good coverage and avoid that’it takes the’water
- Comb the d’a veil of’winter that will not be in contact with the foliage, again to prevent condensation source’humidity
- Drizzle the bare minimum and only if it n’is not in contact with’rainwater.
Find here all the culture of’potted olive tree