The pumpkin, also called Pumpkin sweet d’Hokkaido or Squash China is a delicious vegetable, meaty and tasty.
Easy to grow, it likes rich soil and sunny situations.
In short, that’you should know:
Name : Curcubita maxima
Family : Cucurbit
Type : Vegetable
Height : 20 to 40 cm
Exposure : Sunlight
Ground : Rich and well drained
Pumpkin seedlings : Spring
Harvest : September / October / November
Seeding and planting pumpkin:
Sowing can be done from March under shelter or from mid-May in the ground. The pumpkin is a chilly plant and all risk of frost should be excluded before final installation in the garden.
In the southern regions can start planting from 1st of the month’April.
- The pumpkin loves heat and therefore needs a warm temperate climate to lift properly.
For seedlings bucket in spring, it should be about 3 weeks before transplanting in the ground. So do not plant too early.
In a good soil,
- Press lightly 2-3 seeds per cup
- Once lifted, we only keep the most vigorous plant
- 3 weeks after, it is possible to land on condition that all risk of frost is removed
One can also make planting directly in the ground from May
- No your land will be rich, no your production will be good.
- Do not hesitate to make manure or fertilizer from planting.
- Put 2-3 seeds per hole spacing of 2.5 m in all directions
- Lighten after 2 to 3 weeks leaving only the strongest plant.
Maintenance and size of the pumpkin:
Must pinch the stems regularly to stimulate the development of the plant, you will have a better production.
- When the pumpkin to 5 leaves per stem, cut each stem above the second leaf from the base.
- When these rods will again have produced a dozen leaves, cut each of’them above the 5th.
- When measuring the size of pumpkins’a large apple, cut the stem, leaving the door 2 sheets after the fruit.
Once well-developed plants, it is necessary mulch the foot to preserve the freshness and moisture in the soil.
- Mulching also prevents pumpkins do not touch the ground and thus avoid rot.
- Water regularly during’been avoiding wetting the foliage.
Regarding the pumpkin harvest, see pick fruit as soon as the leaves wither and the skin becomes dull.
The fruit begins to mature beings in the month of September, but the ideal is to ceuillir your pumpkins when the stalk is dry and yellowed foliage.
- This is why the harvest is in general beginning of October.
- Are harvested imperative before the first frost, when their color is orange.
- Keep up the stem when you cut the pumpkin
After harvest, the pumpkins can be stored for about a year, in a dry place at a temperature ranging from 10 to 15 ° C.
- After harvesting must destroy any remaining vegetation, often to diseases and fungus.
To know about the pumpkin:
Native to North America, the pumpkin is usually brick red but we find yellow.
Rich in vitamin A, B, C, D and E and trace elements (phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and iron), these fruits also have the advantage of keep at length during the winter, ideally at a temperature of around 10/12 °.
Composed of 92% water, the pumpkin is quite low in calories and rich in potassium, making it an excellent vegetable against hypertension.
The flesh also rich in vitamin A offers anti-oxidant properties recognized.
In terms of varieties, the most cultivated pumpkins in France are ‘Red kuri’, ‘Uchiki kuri’, ‘Akaguri’ or ‘French pumpkin’
Obviously, we also appreciate the pumpkin with the pulpit, slightly sweet evokes brown.
Malignant Council on the pumpkin:
Unlike pumpkin, he n’is not necessary to remove the skin of the pumpkin before cooking.
For recipes using pumpkin, c’is here