The loquat is a fruit tree that has long been forgotten but which deserves’rediscovered!
Put a Medlar in your garden, and you will see that it triggers curiosity around you.
In short, that’you should know:
Name : Mespilus germanica
Family : Rosaceae
Type : Tree orchard
Height : 4 to 6 m
Exposure : Sunlight
Ground : Rather rich, well drained
Foliage : Deciduous
Flowering : April to June depending on the region Harvest : October-November
Medlar tree planting:
Like most fruit trees, planting loquat s’performs to’fall. This is to promote’rooting before’winter and get a better return in the spring.
But for subjects purchased container, it is possible to plant in spring on condition’accentuate’sprinkling the top.
- Medlar like situations rather sunny, at the risk of not producing medlar.
- C’is a tree that s’adapts to most soils, provided that’it is well drained and not too heavy.
- A planting soil mix and garden soil is suitable for planting a medlar.
- Regular watering during the first year after planting is recommended.
- Follow us planting tips
It is quite possible to cut the medlar tree throughout his life, to keep the size that you decide and can therefore be integrated very evenly throughout your garden.
These few steps will also improve the growth of loquat:
- Remove dead or diseased branches in as.
- At’fall, trim the fragile branches
- At the end of’winter, remove branches that grow toward’interior and trim the branches.
Namely the medlar, loquat harvest:
This tree ori is found mainly in Belgium, Germany and northern France.
His Deciduous is provided and fruits appear in the month of May. They are harvested to frost, when the fruit starts to become overripe.
Do not confuse the medlar d’Germany loquat. The second one that bears fruit’in the Mediterranean region and evergreen.
How to taste medlar?
The ideal is to pick them before the birds do have pecked and taste the garden.
We then take the fruit by pressing it between the thumb, index and middle fingers.
The fruit bursts and the flesh of unsavory appearance will surprise you as much for its sweetness by his unexpected taste.
Our friends the birds, they do not make a mistake and they will quickly find it.
Medlar is used to make pies, clafoutis, jelly, liquor or wine of the medlar.
Diseases and pests Medlar:
Besides fire blight can destroy the medlar in no time and that leaves no room for treatment, there are more common diseases such as brown rot or rot loquats, and as’powdery mildew.
- Moniliasis: pourriturre medlars the medlar.
- L’Powdery mildew: white mold on the leaves or brown spots on loquats.
- Regular treatment Bordeaux mixture allows’avoid these fungi.
In summer you can have attacks aphids and mealybugs, like most fruit trees.
Malignant Council on the medlar:
At harvest, wait until the fruit is ripe well on’tree because once detached it will grow.
- The fruits are fragile and deserve’be handled with care.