Turnip is an old vegetable and undoubtedly’One of the taste.
From sowing to harvesting, the’maintenance to conservation, all these steps are important to have quality turnips.
In short, that’you should know:
Name Brassica rapa or napus
Family : Brassicaceae
Type : Vegetable
Height : 20 to 40 cm
Exposure : Sunlight
Ground : Rich in humus, well drained
Harvest : April to December
- Read: benefits and virtues of turnip Health
- Find Out : recipes turnips
- Shop : selection of delicious turnip
Sowing, planting turnip:
The turnip seedlings takes place from February under shelter directly or up d’April to September.
- Turnips love the land rather rich, enrich it with manure to’previous fall.
- Bury the seeds in 1 or 2 cm depth.
- Prefer row planting with thinning to 10 cm from the’first leaves appear.
- Then cover it with a thin layer of compost.
Planting period of radishes’summer and’Winter:
- The varieties of spring and’sow summer from March to June
- The varieties’fall and’winter sow from July to September and even October sowing under shelter.
Diseases and parasites that affect the turnip:
Turnip flea beetle:
The most common parasite in the turnip is’turnip flea beetle. C’is a black chip that perforates small holes turnip leaves and can have devastating consequences on your crops if it n’is not taken in time.
- No flea beetles’not like the’moisture and leaves to irrigate the morning and evening may hamper seriously.
- Rotenone also has an effective impact on the’turnip flea beetle. Spray the insecticide renewing the’operation up’to total elimination of flea beetles.
- An anti-insect net remains a great value in the fight against flea beetles.
The larvae spawned at the foot of the collar by flies that s’settle in the land and feed on the roots.
- Destroy the feet as they attacked n’not reach maturity.
- Plant aromatic close as thyme or rosemary or fennel.
- Have yellow sticky traps to catch flies laying in the spring.
Slugs and turnips:
He n’there's nothing to say but slugs revel turnip greens and can even destroy a production in a while.
- Lay traps organic slug
Mildew in turnip:
The mildew is’One of the most devastating diseases in the turnip. Upon’summer heat combined with some moisture led to the development of this fungus.
- In cure, only the destruction of affected plants may prevent the spread of mildew.
- In preventive treatment, regular spraying based Bordeaux mixture may permit’prevent mildew.
Turnips are harvested about 2 months after sowing for varieties of spring and’summer and 3 months of turnips’winter.
When harvesting, turnips should be firm and heavy, they are harvested maturity for better use in the kitchen.
The turnips spring and’summer are harvested as and when needed and stored in a cool ventilated place instead.
- Tear them preferably in dry weather
The turnips d’fall and’winter are harvested when mature but also to extend their shelf, you will install them in a rather dark, cool and airy.
Association and crop rotation with turnip:
The best way’avoid diseases still make your less vulnerable turnips with good associations and crop rotations.
Turnip Redoute the presence of’garlic
Turnip LOVE the presence of thyme and rosemary, of lettuce and polka dot.
In terms of crop rotation the best thing to do, including the fight against the’flea beetle, would be’1 year 2 alternate with rutabaga.
But the turnip is very demanding for soil and it is preferable’wait 3 years before replanting turnips in one place.
This retains easily for several weeks, preferably in a cellar or otherwise rather cool room.
For turnips d’winter you can leave them in the ground up’in January on condition that’they were sown as late as possible.
For storage a few days, choose the crisper of your refrigerator.
- By putting them in the sandy dry river, you longer retain them.
Medicinal and health benefits of turnip virtues:
Originating’Asia, it is said that the turnip has d’excellent virtues against winter infections as well as’a favorable effect on the skin.
Turnip gorged d’water, rich in fiber and very low in calories, making it a vegetable ideal for intestinal transit.
Rich potassium, turnip prevents certain common ailments such as sore throat or bronchitis.
Cooked it reveals all its flavors and n’not even need’be peeled when’it is fresh. It is then mp desire.
It is also very good soup, either the roots or tops that achieve wonderful soups made with turnip greens.
- Health: benefits and virtues turnip
Malignant Council on the turnip:
Be careful not to let the soil dry out, water generously during the warmer months.
- Find our selection of delicious turnip
- Find our delicious recipes turnips