The beans are vegetables from the family of legumes quite quick and easy to grow.
We appreciate them for their delicate nutty flavor and ease to be cooked, as raw or cooked.
In short, that’you should know:
Name : Vicia faba
Family : Legumes
Type : Annual
Height : 40 to 400 cm
Exposure : Sunlight
Ground : Light, not too wet
Harvest : About 3 months after planting
- Read: benefits and virtues of the bean
The bean is sown very simply to February to April throughout France and even earlier, of’October to December, for mild Mediterranean climate in winter.
- Loosen the soil at 30 cm
- Furrows 10-15 cm deep
- Post a seed every 10 cm and push with your thumb lightly here (Alternatively sow 2 seeds per hole spacing them about 20 cm)
- Cover only a few centimeters loosely earth
- Drizzle with light rain
Watch Out : Bean fears the heat and drought that slows pod, c’therefore avoids too late crops.
If you wish to have several furrows beans, space each of’among themselves’twenty cm
After the lifting of the beans:
It is important to keep a furniture and virgin soil of all weeds hoeing regularly
When the plants are about 15-20 cm, buttez foot 3-4 cm in order to properly maintain and improve the soil’rooting.
A party of May, usually in training or during flowering beans, pinch ends shoots located above the 5th or 6th floor.
Staking the beans:
For the taller varieties and if your garden is feared high winds, n’Feel free to stake your beans feet in order to’avoid that’they fold at the first gust of wind.
The harvest of beans usually takes place three months after sowing. This period can vary depending on weather conditions, soil quality and irrigation received by the beans.
How do we know when to harvest the beans so that’they are neither too walls, nor too young?
- It avoids leaving the pods grow old too long on the foot as the grains tend to harden quickly enough
- Can be harvested pods 2/3 of their final length
- For a dry harvest, wait until the pods turn black on the foot.
Conservation of beans:
The best way to keep them still green beans long is to place them in the freezer.
They can also refrigerate conservation but only lasts a few days.
Dry beans to keep them:
It can also store many months beans if they have been dried.
- Shell the beans
- Dry the whole beans in a dry and ventilated
- At the time of use, remove the second skin and soak ten’hour in’water
Pests and diseases that affect the beans:
Although easy to grow and’maintenance, we must monitor the beans, the main enemy is the aphid black.
We notice it when’he s’attacks the stems and sometimes even pods forming invasion of small black beasts and undermining the harvest of beans.
- Deal from the’aphids appear
- Possibly remove infested canes parts if’invasion is important and localized
It will also ensure the’possible appearance of fungi such as mildew or rust bean.
Good and bad associations with the bean:
Bean enjoys the company of artichokes, s’Dill, or of the lettuce.
Bean fears the presence of’garlic, of beet, of shallots and onions.
Cash and bean varieties
- "Agadulce" hasty.
- "Three times white" grown north of Valencia.
- "Red Epicurus' purple red grains.
- "Primabel" very productive.
- "From Seville" in big white grains, early.
- "Hystal" for early crops.
Virtues and benefits of the bean:
The bean is low in calories and high in fiber, making it an ingredient promoting digestion.
Carbohydrate rich in minerals such as magnesium, potassium or calcium and vitamin, the bean has a positive effect against fatigue and digestive system.
It is also often recommended for people suffering from diabetes for starches that’which contains n’not have a’impact on blood sugar.
- Health: benefits and virtues of the bean
Malignant Council about the bean:
Do not cultivate the bean two years on the same place and same 4th year wait before resuming in the same place.