The oak leaf lettuce, green, red or blonde is a green salad easy to grow, claiming little’space and accessible to all, even if you have a balcony.
At your seedlings!
In short, that’you should know:
Name : Lactuca quercina
Family : Asteraceae
Type : Annual
Height : 20 to 30 cm
Exposure : Sunny and part shade
Ground : Ordinary
Harvest : Approximately 6 weeks after sowing
Seedling oak leaf lettuce:
There lettuce oak leaf is sown early in the’year, in the month of February.
And up in line from from February to October depending on the types and species.
- The more you begin, the sooner it will protect your seedlings frame, bells or tunnel.
- It can be planted in the ground without shelter from the month of May
As regards the seedlings’summer, germination is difficult beyond 20 ° so n’Feel free to sow them in a slightly cool, even in’shadows ...
It is preferable sowing or planting a small amount of oak leaf lettuce but regularly so you always have crisp lettuce.
Spring Oak Leaf: Nursery seedlings in February / March.
Remove the tunnel at the end of frosts.
- Oak Leaf’summer: Seedlings up d’April-June
- Oak Leaf’Fall: Seedlings up May-June
- Oak Leaf’Winter: Nursery seedlings in the month’August months’October.
In all cases, it should d’clear 25/30 cm from the’first leaves appear.
Also be aware that the salad easily grown in pots and you will be able to enjoy it on your balcony or terrace.
Planting oak leaf lettuce purchased in pot, bucket:
If you want to avoid’step of sowing, it is possible to’directly buy your potted lettuce (bucket) with small leaves.
You will be planting them in the ground, whether in kitchen garden or on a tray terrace or balcony.
- Keep a 30 cm between each plant and water regularly.
- Again plant only what you need and renew plantations regularly
Harvest lettuce oak leaf:
Collect your salad, lettuce and Roman, when the heart of them has reached a good size.
- At harvest, it is pointless’pull the root because you l’will prevent making new leaves.
- It is better’use a good knife and cut lettuce in the neck.
So let the white section and new shoots quickly emerge for another harvest.
- Water regularly to keep the soil moist.
- It is essential harvest before bolting
N’not wait to harvest your lettuce because the more it is crisp, the better it is!
Cultivating oak leaf lettuce in winter:
It is possible to harvest salad whole’year but also during the winter.
To do this, choose varieties Head lettuces d’winter as the Wonder of’Winter Green Passion of’winter, Batavia drop of blood, the Val d’Barley, or of the Brown’winter.
- Sow d’August-October, directly in place.
Upon’arrival of the first cold you will protect your seedlings and crops with a small greenhouse, tunnel, or any other medium of your lettuce to grow despite the freeze and allowing a maximum of light.
Namely on lettuce leaf oak:
Relatively easy to grow, lettuce requires little’maintenance throughout its growth, if n’is a regular watering but measured.
Annual family Asteraceae, lettuce is relatively poor in energy value while containing large amount of’water and excellent omega 3.
One also finds there trace elements, fibers, minerals and vitamins essential for the proper development of our bodies.
- You l’have understood the salad has many advantages, both for its ease of cultivation as its nutritional qualities.
Among the varieties of lettuce oak leaves are:
- Lansaï, red oak leaf
- Panisse, a green oak leaf
- Salad Bowl, a blonde green oak leaf
Conservation of oak leaf lettuce:
Although shelf life is relatively short, it is possible to keep a little longer in the’settling in the crisper of the refrigerator, surrounded’a cloth or’a loose plastic film.
- But the best way to oak leaf lettuce remains the one that goes from the garden to your plate!
Malignant Council about oak leaf lettuce:
Do not sow too many seeds at once to avoid being overproduced, prefer the’staggered planting time.