Keep birds and other birds predators of plants and vegetables is a mission that’ensures brilliantly a scarecrow. But this is not because he has to scare them that it must be ugly. Quite the contrary!
Indulge yourself by making a smart guard and shock for your garden or balcony. Here is a step that should entice more’a. This activity can be done with children of course.
Time of Event: 1:30
The equipment you need
- 5 fabrics of different colors (burgundy, sky blue, navy blue, red, orange)
- Adhesive felt
- White plastic bag
- Thick wool yarn
- Bamboo or broomstick
- Take the fabric that will be used to make the body of your scarecrow. It should be about 1m x 1m. For our part, we chose to do it in blue. Fold the fabric in half. So you end up with a double thickness of rectangle 1m 50 cm. Make her arms and legs.
- Then take the thread and sew arms and legs except the ends.
- Fold in half the width of the fabric so that the right arm and right leg match left arm and left leg. Take the scissors and cut at the top of the fold-neck "V".
- Take the straw and fill the body of the scarecrow. Make sure the straw at each end of the arms and legs and secure with raffia.
- Take the fabric used to make the head of the scarecrow. It shall measure 50 x 50 cm. In our case, we opted for the orange.
- Fill a small plastic bag with straw and close to a ball.
- Place it in the middle of the fabric and close the set with raffia. It must remain on the outside of the fabric.
- Cut in the adhesive felt eyes, eyebrows, nose and mouth and then install them on the head.
- Take the bamboo (or joystick) and push it into the head of your scarecrow.
- Then continue the bamboo by the neck and crotch body of your scarecrow. Tie securely with raffia collar, the head and the bamboo to keep your scarecrow. This can be a bit difficult. Please staple the head and body if you are unable to hold it all together with raffia.
- Then take a tissue, we chose red for a bandana that we will just place around the scarecrow's neck to hide raffia and staples.
- With burgundy fabric, we have chosen to make a jacket at the scarecrow. To do this, fold in half and cut your fabric at the center of one side of the fabric a wide band. Install the uncut area on the back of the scarecrow and the two remaining bands before. With the rope, tie a knot around the jacket.
- Finally finally, navy blue fabric (50cmx50cm) will be used to make a hat. At each end of the fabric, tie knots that will allow the cap to hold well on the head of the scarecrow.
He is ready! Now you have to install it wherever you want.
Photos: Laetitia Devillars (not royalty-free photos)