Germinating potato tubers before putting them in the ground can accelerate the growth of your seedlings, d’advancing harvest a few days to a few weeks and’improve crop.
This technique s’not apply to potatoes purchased pre-germinated in gardening and therefore ready to plant.
Sprouting potatoes s’applies to plants purchased unsprouted and potatoes of’previous year.
Germinating potato plants unsprouted
Buy potatoes treated with anti-germ preference.
- Use a crate or in an egg box
- Store potatoes in a single layer
- If a germ exists, it must look to the top
- Arrange the potatoes in the light, in a dry, cool and Arere
- The ideal germination temperature is between 10 and 15 °
- The germination time is about 4 to 6 weeks
Use its own potato plants sprouting
It is quite possible to’use of potatoes’previous year to germinate.
- L’uprooting is about 4 weeks before harvest potatoes
- Select potatoes free from illness and vigorous plants
- Let stand potatoes on the ground for a few days
- Finally, select the tubers up best, no rot
- Keep finally in a cool, airy place until’to’following year
- Around February-March start sprouting as c’is explained above.
A few weeks after starting the germination of potatoes when the soil temperature is d’about 12 °, it is time to put land and do grow your potatoes in order to’a good harvest!
A good way to find the ideal planting period, c’is when germs take a purple color ...