L’endive, that’also called chicory is a delicious vegetable that also tasted really thought after baking.
Culture is easy and often generous crop when’you follow these tips.
In short, that’you should know:
Name : Cichorium
Family : Asteraceae
Type : Vegetable
Height : 20 to 50 cm
Exposure : Sunlight
Ground : Ordinary
Harvest : November to March
Plantation of’endive chicory
For proper cultivation of chicory, perform seedlings up from the month of May.
Malignant mixed gardener very fine seeds with dry sand so to better distribute the seedlings when planting.
- Space the seedlings’about 25 cm and lighten about 15/20 cm as soon as’the first leaves appear.
Forcing and harvesting of’endive:
Forcing s’is much improved thanks to genetic innovations of recent years. It has become much simpler and is easily done in a cellar in pots or in boxes filled with peat.
- In the month’October / November, pull the plants from your seedlings in May.
- Cut the foliage 1 to 2 inches from the root.
- Straighten the roots them for that’they all have a similar length.
- Choose a dark place: cave, sealed box to light, or cut to’outside.
- Install the roots next to each other and cover them with soil and possibly compost.
- Collect 3-4 weeks after breaking the’endive at its foot.
It is possible to make 2 of crops’endive on the same root a few weeks’interval. Simply leave the root in the sand after the first harvest.
Malignant Council about the’endive chicory
Do not throw away the roots after harvest, will then appear as multiple small endivettes you can harvest as and when they come.
Space the forcing time to raise your endives throughout the’winter.