The tree tomato is a fruit of shrub’tropical origin which offers delicious fruit, tamarillo, acidic flavor and firm flesh.
Here is how the home-grown.
In short, that’you should know:
Name : Cyphomandra betacea
Family : Solanaceae
Type : Garden Shrub
Height : 1-4 m (in the wild)
Exposure : Sunlight or bright indoor
Ground : Light, rich enough
Harvest : Summer, cure on the foot.
Plantation of’tomato tree:
In our latitudes the’tomato tree is cultivated Outdoors where climate is mild enough in winter because this shrub is not resistant to negative temperatures below -3 °
Therefore it can be grown in the Mediterranean or the Atlantic coast under certain conditions of winter protection.
- L’tomato tree needs’a sunny, sheltered position of the wind
- The soil must be well drained to avoid’backwater
- The soil should be rich and fertilized regularly
Culture of tomato in potted tree:
If you fear negative temperatures in winter, it is essential to cultivate your potted tomato tree in order to protect it in winter.
Can frost, then we can cultivate’tree tomatoes as a citrus fruit, tucking the greenhouse’winter.
- Have the bottom of the pot a drainage layer of 5 cm based beads’clay
- Choose loam special citrus or fruit tree
- Place the pot in the sun but avoid too brulants place because pot it dries much faster
- Remove the pot mai à October-November
- Enter the’tree tomatoes under glass or unheated porch but frost-l’winter
If you choose to cultivate’tomato shaft interior, must be provided no dormancy period during’winter.
- This period requires a reduction irrigation
- Place’tree tomatoes in’the coolest place in the house
- Keep a good light as it is needed, even in winter
Maintenance and watering of’tomato tree:
C’is a fruit tree that requires many’the water’summer, especially in case of hot weather.
Daily watering is recommended in case of drought.
- When watering, avoid’water foliage
- For’potted tomato tree, water when the soil is dry on the surface
Apart from the’watering the’Maintenance is relatively easy of’winter to’summer.
Harvest tamarillo, tree tomato:
The tamarillo is harvested ripe imperatively well, as close to full maturity as possible and ideally eaten soon after.
Before maturity he n’is not very good and too young it can even be indigestible.
If the fruit is not ripe enough when picking, you can let them ripen like tomatoes before eating.
Namely the tree tomato:
A native of Peru, is well known for its red or pink-orange fruit Family tomatoes, and the shape is more like that of’a plum
Tomato tree is slightly tart and its flesh, firm and fleshy is consumed in the same way as the tomato, often flood.
We also like to eat this fruit in the form of tamarillo juice, another name for the tree tomato.
The main country of production is Colombia which is why this fruit has trouble pushing outdoors in our latitudes.
Malignant Council about the tree tomato:
For outdoor culture, choose the variety Cyphomandra corymbiflora because it is resistant to freezing temperatures of’around -7 ° sunny and protected from the wind.