Spinach Spinacia oleracea or, well known as a vegetable, is cultivated, probably the improved form of Spinacia tetranda, which grows wild in the Caucasus to Iran.
His family Chenopodiaceae. Spearhead, smooth or blistered in rosette and a beautiful bright green, long leaves of 20 to 40 cm are more vegetable and medicinal.
However, we recognize their many qualities ...
- Read : Cultivate the’spinach
- To discover : our revenues based’spinach
Spinach: for the record
Spinach was completely unknown to the Greeks and Romans. The Arabs, who enjoyed much spinach, spread it by introducing it in Spain in the twelfth century. " This prince vegetables "As they called it, was brought to France by the Crusaders in the thirteenth century and is imposed only after the Renaissance.
Spinach and its health benefits
- "Bowel Broom"! We could have done better as a beginning. Yet this is how we call him ... for his laxative and dépuratives indisputable.
- It is also an excellent antianemic, which contains in addition to chlorophyll, iron and folic acid. As for the legend of Popeye ... Forget it! The iron content of spinach, it is only 3 mg / 100 g. Not bad but some wild vegetables like nettle, goosefoot and dandelion contain more.
- The reputation of spinach is well established: it fights against the wonders Light colors. Remedy against theanemia and chlorosis, Spinach is recommended whenever blood loss requires going back! (Heavy periods, spitting blood, etc.). That's why it often also accompanied convalescents.
Did you know?
Spinach can be used for internal use (infusion) or external (decoction).
Fortifying wine : Add 200 g of fresh spinach juice in three quarters of liters of wine.
Infusion : 10 grams of seed per cup. It is a soft, mild laxative.
Toxicity spinach : Because of oxalic acid salt they contain spinach are prohibited for arthritis, rheumatism and gout to. Furthermore, some people are violently allergic to oxalates.
In so consuming but without excess, especially in children and the elderly.
Grow spinach for its benefits
To cultivate good spinach, you need a rich soil, moist and high nitrogen content. Expose them in a cool garden at part shade. Good to know: spinach supports quite well the cold.
By the time you sow, consider incorporating a organic fertilizer based manure and seaweed. And water them often in dry weather to avoid bolting.
- Read : Sow, cultivate and maintain the’spinach
- Sow your spinach small amounts, every 15 days, to spread production.
- Even if you hear or read otherwise, do not sow spinach summer because they add up quickly to seed. Instead, opt for the tetragonal retort, tastes the same.
For multiplication, sow in place in April or September-October to 2 cm deep in furrows spaced 30 cm. The lifting occurs ten days later.
It is very easy to cultivate spinach pot 25 cm deep, with a continuously fresh substrate held.
Beware of little beasts!
Spinach hate Slugs and snails, the mildew (Shaped mold) leaves traces on yellow leaves. When planting base, seedlings collapse.
Attention also to the virus Cucumber mosaic, which weakens the plants.
Species and varieties of spinach
- "Winter Giant" very broad leaves and excellent efficiency is sown in the fall.
- "Monstrous Viroflay" to big crunchy leaves, very susceptible to viruses.
- "Symphony F1" very resistant to late blight (sickness, a kind of mold).
- "Summer of Rueil" tolerates drought, sow in spring.
- "Space F1" with smooth leaves, can be sown in the summer.
- "Tripitek F1", "Nordane F1", "Parys F1" can be planted in any season.
Strawberry Spinach (Chenopodium vigatum) gives bright red fruit, wrapped in a bland but edible pulp.
Spinach in the kitchen and its properties
Eat all young green sheets in salad, they are delicious! And cook them Large sheets, in with meat.
Gourmands, spinach? It is true that they are capable of the worst but not the best! And for the best ... Make them "fall" in butter with chopped onion, a little cream and boiled egg. A real treat!
25 kcal / 100g. Spinach is high in fiber, calcium, magnesium, iron, vitamin C and vitamin B9.
- To discover : All our recipes based’spinach
Other species of spinach ... To shine in society!
The Bon-Henri Chénopode (Chenopodium bonus-Henricus) is a wild cousin of spinach. It grows abundantly in the mountains, especially around the mountain chalets on smoked land by livestock. Yum! It is laxative, cleansing and refreshing.
The Lambsquarters, 'Weed' gardens, is eaten raw or cooked. It is a very fine vegetable!