The kale or Brassica oleracea var. acephala is a leaf vegetable belonging to the family Brassicaceae (Cruciferae).
Originally from the northern part of Europe, cabbage is very decorative and close enough fodder shapes.
Cabbage: for the record
Cato the Censor loved the cabbage! According to him, the cabbage was so much virtues that the Romans have done without doctor for a thousand years.
The Ancients advocated eating cabbage at the beginning and end of each meal to avoid sinking in the intoxication.
For a long time, cabbage was regarded as a great pectoral, especially red cabbage, effective in breast diseases, bronchial and pulmonary catarrh.
The water boiled cabbage was used in the inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, dysentery or ascites (Fluid effusions in the peritoneal cavity intra-) associated with hepatic cirrhosis.
In the last century Leclerc called the cabbage in liver cirrhosis, ascites (effusion of’serous fluid in the peritoneal cavity) or nephritis (painful inflammation of the kidney).
Cabbage and its benefits on healthé
- With the S-Methylmethionine (formerly called "vitamin U") contained herein, the cabbage is sometimes known for its anti-ulcer properties. It calms the pain of gastric ulcer, duodenal and gastritis. It is also recommended in the various dyspepsia (heartburn, hiatal hernias, nausea, regurgitation, dyspepsia Hepatobiliary). In the old treaties medicine, cabbage juice was indicated as a remedy in disorders of the stomach and intestine.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals, cabbage is beneficial if anemia.
- Cabbage juice is proving an excellent wormer against pinworms and roundworms.
- Cabbage has a hypoglycemic principle but unfortunately too unstable to be used in pharmaceutical processing. It will anyway be beneficial for diabetics.
- Cabbage regulates intestinal functions. There sauerkraut (Obtained from the lactofermentation leaves) is excellent for digestion : Its acidity is perfect for lazy stomachs and lactic acid a good disinfectant of the digestive tract.
- The raw cabbage and sounds juice are highly effective against the externally wounds and varicose ulcers He heals very well. Chou believed and cabbage juice also relieve rheumatic pain or gout, neuralgia, sciatica and painful joints.
- One against-indication with the cabbage: goiter with hyperthyroidism. In this case, the cabbage can prove toxic. So avoid eating if you are concerned.
Did you know?
- Internal use:
"Cure cabbage" : It allows a substantial elimination of urine absorption with absorption of edema after 10 to 20 days of treatment. Absorb daily 300 to 400 g of cabbage (raw half, the other cooked).
Cabbage juice: grind the leaves in a blender, take 20 to 30 g per day (a good tablespoon). Such As wormer.
Cabbage syrup: obtained with the juice which double the weight added either sugar or honey. Cook in double boiler cover and skim. Against coughs and chest complaints.
- External use:
Dressing cabbage leaves: Wash the leaves, remove the large central vein, crush them several times with a heavy rolling pin or bottle. Make cool and apply on the ulcer or the painful part and maintain with a band. Renew the dressing twice a day. Against ulcers, wounds and pains.
Kale should be planted sunlight.
If you live in the South East, grow it in partial shade.
Kale needs a fresh soil, limestone, rich, well drained, very long and deeply worked nitrogen.
Kale resent too Furniture & Floor standing water.
If too harsh winter, do not hesitate to protect kale with mats.
If you are curious, know that there are close varieties like cabbage palm, for example, the leaves are arranged in panache.
The potted kale?
Kale is well suited to growing in pots, in containers of 30 cm and associated with some annual flowers (petunias, for example).
Beware of little beasts!
Growth kale can be slowed by butternut cabbage aphids. Stem base is attacked by the cabbage maggot (Who lays eggs). The larvae are also rot the plants. Cabbage collar can be invaded by Weevils (Coleoptera insects). Just after planting, pay attention to beetles (Coleoptera insects), riddle which leaves small holes. The roots may start to thicken under the action of the clubroot, which weakens plants and causes foliage discoloration (clubroot rampant only in very heavy soils).
Species and varieties of kale
- 'Green Dwarf' tender leaves, to pick just after frost.
- "Palm Tree" capable of producing a stem 2 m high, tasty leaves.
- "Violet Moss Curled" fairly homogeneous leaves very mossy.
- "Wild Red" very rustic, red leaf shapes.
- "Redbor F1": dark green, perfectly sensitive to frost.
Kale kitchen and properties
Kale is consumed mostly cooked, after being bleached or raw, cut into thin strips in salads.
25 kcal / 100g. Kale, like cabbage is rich in vitamin C, B1, B9, E. It contains calcium, iron, sulfur, sodium and potassium. It is also diuretic and contains antioxidants.
Kale stuffed vegetables, kale to smoked sausage, Fried, soups... There are a thousand ways to accommodate kale! Why not delicious hotpot ?