Carrot or daucus carotta is a biennial plant grown as an annual, perfectly hardy, reaching 30 cm high and belonging to the family Apiaceae (Umbelliferae).
From Europe and Asia, carrots we enjoy today were obtained by selection of wild forms.
- Vegetable garden: cultivate carrots
- Kitchen: recipes with carrots
The carrot: for the record
In case you did not already know it, carrot, in the time of Gaul, was already our national vegetable. Indeed, Pliny pastinaca called Gallica, "Gallic food."
For the carrot reaches all the plates, it will not until the Middle Ages. Dioscorides as recommended fruits to facilitate the rules and as a diuretic.
Carrot and its health benefits
- It is said that the carrot accelerates growth, increases the resistance to infections and reduces visual disturbances. Popular favorite remedy in the treatment of jaundice, carrot strengthens the liver action. Nothing less!
- Constipation or diarrhea, in both cases, the core regulates intestinal functions.
- Carrot juice is recommended against rheumatism, gout and arthritis because of its marked diuretic (It increases by 10% the volume of urine and the amount of uric acid eliminated.
- Carrot stimulates regeneration of epithelia, is used to treat skin diseases, impetigo children, the burns...
- Carrot attenuates age spots and rejuvenates the skin.
- The carrot leaves have properties diuretics.
- As for carrot seed, they have the same virtues apéritives, Digestive, carminative and galactogenic than other Umbelliferae (fennel, anise). Please note however, they are not recommended during pregnancy. Only drink organic juices (herbicides and insecticides are concentrated in the root).
Did you know?
Internal use: carrot should often be part of our meal!
- Carrot juice: spend 100 g carrots in a blender and drink the resulting fasting morning juice. As a diuretic, depurative, anti-anemic.
- Carrot Soup : Cook 500g of finely chopped carrots in 1 liter of water for one hour. Place a fine strainer to obtain a slurry, complete with water to make 1 liter of boiled liquid. Against infant diarrhea. Bottle-feed the child with this soup only, until the return of normal bowel movements.
- Carrot seed tea: one teaspoon per cup. To promote lactation and digestion.
- Carrot pulp poultice : Finely grate the fresh pulp and apply on burns to soothe the pain.
- Carrot juice Lotion : Miracle to cure dartres.
For beauty treatments, using pulp masks grated or lotions carrot juice daily.
Growing carrots for its benefits
The carrot needs exposure sunny. Partial shade is tolerated but growth will be slower. To grow properly, carrots must be planted in soil fresh, rich and well drained. Land sandy and light, that's what they prefer! (The split roots are often due to too heavy soil or gravel).
The best carrots are grown under a mild and humid climate (carrot "Nantes"). If you want to keep your carrots in winter, heavy soil is suitable.
- Vegetable garden: cultivate carrots
Tip about the carrot:
Avoid planting parsley, of parsnip or celery near your carrots ranks because they are also attacked by carrot fly, enemy pest of carrots. Plant rather leeks, it seems that the combination works well!
The pot carrot?
Yes, provided you opt for varieties of short cores such as "Paris Market" or "Short improved force" and plant them in pots of 30 cm depth, possibly lightened filled with universal soil with a little fine sand.
Beware of little beasts!
The most common pest is the carrot fly... Small larvae develop inside the roots are rotting plants. Not easy to resist against this carrot fly. The variety 'Sytan "appears most promising to fight!
Too much humidity allowed to develop a bacteria that causes soft rot...
Mildew shows during cool, wet summers.
But if it is hot and dry, thepowdery mildew put their heart's content.
Attention also mole crickets, grubs, gray, crane flies, centipedes and other weevils that address the roots!
Species and varieties of carrots
You will find a multitude of varieties of carrots Commercially, many of F1 hybrids.
- "From Halle" high yield in the ground, sowing mars May.
- "De Saint Valery" productive, does not fear the cold, seedlings from July to November.
- "Long Tilques" very long, good hardiness, seedlings from July to November.
- "Nanco" one of the best F1 hybrid seedlings from February to March.
- "Nandor" long and quite fine root seedlings mars May.
- "Improved Nantes' classic but delicious seedlings mars May.
- "Soloist" very tasty, versatile, easy-Seeding avril-June.
- "Suko" very tasty, versatile, easy, seedlings from February to March.
But you can also grow:
- "Short of Bellot early" short root early carrot.
- "Tip Top" very long roots, keeps very well.
- "Balin F1" beautiful hybrid variety with sweet cylindrical roots.
- "Touchon" firm flesh for the first planting.
- "Ascania F1" for late crops really keeps well.
Carrots in the kitchen and its benefits
Carrots are eaten raw, grated for example, with a vinaigrette or a good mayonnaise. Of course you can also taste the cooked but be aware, they lose some of their nutritional value.
- Kitchen: all recipes with carrots
33 kcal / 100g. Carrots are rich in provitamin A (Carotene), which protects the cells from aging.
It is also very rich in vitamins C and B9.
Carrots also brings potassium and sodium.
For your salad, carrot and sand for the pot-au-feu and other cooked dishes, lovely carrot open ground. Remember that using the carrot pieces braised veal or beef caramelize and it is the discreet sugar juices and broths.