Pumpkin, Cucurbita pepo Latin, belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. This is a vegetable with many shapes and colors native to North America.
Its stems are hollow, creeping, hairy and carry very large leaves, toothed and full of coarse hair.
Its flowers are yellow, funnel-shaped, its thick skin to peel and fruit yellow or orange flesh.
- Read: cultivate the pumpkin
- To discover : all our recipes using pumpkin and squash
Pumpkin: for the record
In the sixteenth century, imported recently of America, pumpkin was studied by Mathias Lobel, who discovered him anthelmintic. In 1820 Mongény, doctor in Cuba, was the first to report the effectiveness of pumpkin seeds in the tapeworm treatment.
It is also considered that these seeds calmed inflammation digestive and urinary tract. It even appears that the repressed passions of the flesh !
Pumpkin and its health benefits
- Since 1980, pumpkin seeds, as are the thick green oil which is extracted are used against benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- It also assigns them anti-inflammatory and dépuratives.
- Crushed the Pumpkin seeds have real worming Action. Two caveats, however: the large mass of ground material to harvest and taking a laxative after absorption worming.
- There pulp, diuretic and déconstipante, is often prescribed in the diets of the intestines and kidney patients and in those with arthritis and rheumatism.
- After a diet, pulp pumpkin, extremely digestible solid food is recommended as a priority.
- Raw pulp has emollient properties. Crushed, it is a soothing poultice against burns.
Did you know?
Internally, you can eat the pumpkin ...
Against prostate disorders : 20 to 30 g of seed per day, between meals.
Against tapeworm : Blanched seeds (50-60 g in adults, in children 25 g 15 g in very young children), pounded and crushed with 20 g of sugar, a tablespoon of water and a few orange flower water. The crushed seeds can also be mixed with honey or jam. Administer purgation one to two hours after (Well meet this interval). The best advice is purgative castor oil : 2-3 tablespoons in adults, 1-2 teaspoons in children.
Cultivate the pumpkin for its benefits
You have decided to embark on the cultivation of squash? Go! To thrive, your pumpkins will need sunny exposure and hot, and a place perfectly clear. They will grow in rich soil, humus, fresh but well drained. In too damp earth, the plant will rot.
- Read: all about the culture of the pumpkin
Good to know
- The Fresh manure is widely recommended!
- Avoid growing in pots, too laborious and unsuitable for the strength of the pumpkin.
You reap your pumpkins end of October, about 20 weeks after planting. For optimal storage, keep them as long squash on the branch. Collect dry weather, especially before freezing and store them in a dry room at 10 ° C.
Beware of little beasts!
Beware Slugs and snails at the beginning of the growth of squash. They do not appreciate at all either the Cucumber mosaic virus, which stunted plants and causes malformation of the fruit.
Species and varieties of pumpkin
- "Jack O 'Lantern": the more preferred 25 to 30 cm high, 20 cm diameter weighs 5 to 10 kg.
- "Happy Jack" similar to the "Jack O 'Lantern" but ribbed.
- "Connecticut Field": spherical, dark yellow, bigger.
- "Candelaria" is 40 cm high and 30 cm in diameter, light orange, weighs up’15 kg!
Pumpkin kitchen and benefits
It is the fruit of the pumpkin you will enjoy. Fortified milk, butter or cream soups and purees gourd base are always very fine and delicate.
Greedy idea and friend of the plans pumpkin compote
You need: 200 g potatoes and 800 g pulp pumpkin cut into large cubes. Cover with water and cook over low heat with 100 g of sugar. Flavour with cinnamon, vanilla or lemon or orange peel. Enjoy!
20 kcal / 100g. Halloween pumpkin or squash is low in energy. This is one of the richest vegetable provitamin A, which brings many health benefits.