Anise or pimpinelle anisum aromatic plant is an annual, sometimes biennial, 50 cm high, very fragrant and decorative.
Anise, a native of the Mediterranean basin and Egypt belongs to the family Umbelliferae (Apiaceae).
Anise: for the record
There are more than 4,000 years, the Egyptian already cultivating anise.
Discoride found that anise easier breathing, pain relief, made it easier urinary elimination and calmed thirst.
To Pliny the Elder, anise had the power to sleep and keep the youth of the face ...
Anise and its health benefits
- Painful periods? Sensitive stomach? Anise should relieve you. In fact, anise is a antispasmodic essentially recommended in cases of nervous dyspeptic disorders (contractions of the digestive organs, palpitations, dizziness, tightness after dinner flatulence). Anise also relieves windy colic.
- Its soothing anise are a good remedy against Asthma, there pharyngitis and bronchitis.
- If you are breastfeeding, know that anise is a galactogenic very effective. It increases the production of milk and calms the infant colic.
- Migraine, cerebral failure, general fatigue... Also in these cases anise proves valuable.
- The essential oil Anise is a component of "paregoric" (former antidiarrheal medication). Be careful though with nervous disorders that the essential oil of anise can cause (particularly seizures, because it contains ethanol). The ethanol-ethyl alcohol mixture of aniseed aperitifs, in excess, proves harmful to the nervous system.
Did you know?
- Internal use:
Infusion of anise : 10 to 15 g of seeds per liter of water or a teaspoon per cup. Drink 2 to 3 cups a day. Promotes digestion. To treat children colic, can infuse the seeds in milk.
Anise liqueur: marinate at least 1 month, 50 g of anise and 1 g of cinnamon in ½ liter of white brandy for fruit. Digestive liqueur.
Cultivate anise for its benefits
Anise plant in full sun, it needs heat! The soil, however, must be light, rich in humus and fresh. The anise perfect tolerance of limestone.
Multiplication of anise: Sow April to May and very lightly cover the seeds, which rise in 10 days.
Anise seeds have a life of three years. When you sow, always use fresh seed.
Yes it is possible to grow anise potted in containers of 25 cm. Be aware that anise remains more compact than the ground.
Beware of little beasts!
The anise can be attacked by thepowdery mildew and aphids.
Anise species and varieties
You will find some decorative varieties like Pimpinella major, with pink flowers.
Anise kitchen and its properties
Green aniseed is used in the manufacture of gingerbread, anisette and liqueurs but also rolls and sweets. Anise is also delicious infusion (10 g / l).
Alternative to the traditional custard (but tasty) and about trying the custard flavored with anise?
The anise fruits help to digest, are antispasmodic and have a tonic effect on the heart. The seeds are carminative (helps the expulsion of intestinal gas). And anise is used in confectionery.
Some synonyms for the word "anise" to shine in society ...
It is also called "anise Europe", "little anise", "pimpinelle anise", "Boucage wild fruit."