How to organize an artificiallawn
An artificiallawn is a substitution for natural grass at sports fields, sites for children, in the yard, or in the garden. An artificial lawn imitates natural grass pretty accurately. It’s manufactured from artificial fibers, and is capable of withstanding mechanical and static loads.
Benefits of an artificial lawn:
Optimal properties for leg sliding and turning;
Guaranteed safety from burns during slides and strikes;
During the winter, an ice skating rink may be set up after filling an artificial lawn with water, without causing any damage ;
Water-resistance of an artificial lawn;
Possible to clean it with detergents;
Quality parameters of an artificiallawn do not change all through the maintenance period, which is guaranteed by manufacturers;
Versatile durability of an artificial lawn;
Frost resistance and durability under temperature changes;
Economic benefit of an artificial lawn: there’s no need to use equipment for lawn maintenance;
Save time and money on lawn care.
Disadvantages of an artificial lawn
In the sun, the grass of an artificial lawn gets hotter than natural grass. The temperature may reach up to 150F (65.6C).
An artificial lawn is laid on a solid surface, which is why falling may cause more serious traumas than falling on a natural lawn.
Bacteria, which gets on the artificial lawn, propagates faster and may cause infection in the case of a trauma.
During maintenance, an artificiallawn gives off harmful substances, which are contained in the pigment, latex and plasticizers.
Precipitation doesn’t penetrate the soil and turns into waste waters which can contaminate the environment.
An artificial lawn needs to be washed and cleaned to prevent the reproduction of fungi and bacteria.
During intensive maintenance, an artificial lawn needs periodical tillage to restore its initial look.
Working life of an artificial lawn is 8-10 years, according manufactures claim. It depends on the quality of an artificial lawn. When the quality begins deteriorating, your artificial lawn needs to be replaced with a new one.
There are artificial lawns of various colors, lengths of artificial grass, and durability of the surface. The choice depends on the customer’s taste and the purpose of the artificial lawn.
How do you lay an artificiallawn?
1. Markings indicating the placement of a lawn are made.
2. The surface is smoothed out and rammed.
3. Small trenches with a slop for water drainage are made from the 2 sides of the lawn, in the place where there’s an inclination.
4. Water-resistant geofilm is laid down. In the junction areas, it’s stuck. The film is laid in the trenches.
5. Drainage geogrid is put on top of water-resistant geofilm. They are fixed together.
6. An artificial lawn is laid. Rolls are rolled out, cut with a sharp knife, and laid in one direction. They must lay like this for one day to eliminate inner tension. The layout of an artificial lawn must be overlapping by at least 15 mm. The edges of the roll covering are cut to achieve the complete correct sizes of junctions.
7. Keeping the junctions together is a joining tape with two-component glue. First, the link-up edges of the roll covering of an artificial lawn are raised. The joining tape is put in the middle between the junctions under the roll covering. The width of the tape is 10 12 inches (25 - 30cm). The glue is put on the joining tape with the stripe width of 8 10 inches (20 25сm). Then, the link-up edges of an artificial lawn are lowered in an attempt to achieve an even attachment. Next, the seams are flattened with a roller for firm attachment. The edges of the lawn need to be also attached, and a curb made.
After an artificial lawn is in place, strewing with sand is needed, usually about 11-13 pound (5 6кg). This is done in dry weather. To allow the sand granules penetrate deep into the artificial grass, the lawn is combed. Then, an artificial lawn is strewn over with rubber or caoutchouc granules and combed again. In 6 months, strewing with rubber granules is done again for better elasticity of an artificial lawn.
An artificial lawn may be laid not only on geogrid but on road metal foundation as well. In this case, a base for an artificial lawn is dug out with the depth up to 4 8 inches (10 20сm), and then crushed stone is laid in layers from different fractions. Next, water-resistant textile is laid to prevent the washing out of sand into the crushed stone. The upper layer is made from coarse-grained sand. Water-resistant textile is also laid on top of the sand. An artificial lawn is laid in the same order.